Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Power of Grounding


For a while I was looking for ways to deepen my practice and energize it. Where to turn... coffee? Nuts? Something? The answer was way more obvious and simple than I was admitting;

I always practiced on my mat, it seemed like the normal solution. After some reading, "Moola Bandha - The Master Key" by Swami Buddhananda, I began to recognize what I was really looking for: The energy of the Earth. We know it's simple to harness; it's transmitted through touch, dirt to skin. So here's what I learned...

The root Chakra is associated with the Earth and being grounded; stable. A balanced Mooladhara Chakra (located at the base of the spine, the root of the body) serves as the foundation for the rest of the body's energy. In practice, once I felt the mud, grass, and leaves beneath my feet, under the nails of my fingers, I felt something new in my body. I found new energies opening up and infusing my body. I went from feeling stagnant to adventurous...

Another awesome thing I learned being outside is that being under the sun heats the body, yes, but it also brings life and inspiration! The sun stimulates growth in all of nature, including us. It does the same to a yoga practice!

I started practicing outside based on a friend's suggestion, and after some reading on the Moola Bandha I was suddenly doing things I never thought I could! I was standing on my hands... I don't know how to do that... except I do? GET OUTSIDE, you might learn something new! DO IT! :)








No comments:

Post a Comment