Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Becoming Disoriented



It may be an opinion, but handstand seems to be a big deal in the yoga world. Like if you unlock handstand, maybe you're "good" at yoga or something...

This is why I think handstands are a revelation...

Handstand allows me first to be okay with being disoriented. Upon beginning handstand practice, I didn't know how to hold myself up, which was unsettling. Feeling incompetent, I was experiencing instability in a new dimension. In a yoga class, I can put my body in warrior poses and feel successful. Handstand isn't as straight forward (at first).

If I'm okay working in a place where I'm disoriented, I am trusting I will find my own true center: my core in balance. Also, by falling (a lot), my perceived failure won't distract me from becoming oriented. Falling doesn't affect me any differently than balancing; it just is. I can continue exploring in both situations.

In my life, sometimes the direction my studies/work/relationship/ is taking is entirely foreign. Sometimes the explanations around me don't compute or translate in my life or my body, but I can show up willing to be lost, and at the same time willing to be found.


No comments:

Post a Comment